Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default lawn trimmer fence damage

On 19 May 2007 14:47:37 -0700, k wrote:

I was going to purchase a lawn trimmer. Has anyone had any trouble
with the cord damaging fence boards or trees. I am concerned that
after time I will create gashes in my fence.

I"ve got pickets that are 27 years old and sometimes my weedwacker
rips them up a little. If they are rotten, it rips them up more, but
very few are rotten, and there woudl be even fewer if it weren't for
the termites. (Now I cut the pickets to be about an inch off the
ground, so the termites don't get to them.). It probably does the
same to the ones that are only 15 years old. After a few weeks or
months, the newly exposed parts get to be the same color as the rest
of the picket. Gradually, I'm replacing all the pickets anyhow.

I finally learned to put a couple new pickets outside all year round
so that when I need them, they are the same color as the fence. It
took me 23 years to think of that.