Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Installation cost of "porch ceiling"

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I need to install T1-11 boards as ceiling in a porch area. I have about
800 SF of porch space and I was quoted a price of $6500 to install it
(labor + material). The labor involves cutting the 4x8 sheets to the porch
dimension, in some areas I have overhead hi-hats so those need to be cut.
For the most part it is pretty straight and uncomplicated. It does NOT
include the cost of painting the boards. The materials will be the boards
themselves which sells for about $22.00 per sheet in local lumber yards,
staple guns and nails. Now this works out to be $8/SF. This is more
expensive than laying tiles!

I agree the price sounds very high. You need more local estimates.

The guy did not lie about the overhead part.

Your material cost may be higher than you think. If this is being installed
over bare rafters you may not get the full 32 square feet per board because
the rafters may not be a perfect 16 or 24 OC. The last time I replaced a
soffitt on an older home I averaged using about 6.5 foot of each 8 foot run.
In some cases you can improve the use of the T-11 by using some scabs.

A contractor is not going to waste his time shopping at the BORG. His cost
may be slightly higher than what you waste a half a day buying it for at the
BORG.

Is there something that need to be removed? Are the rafters open and
visible?