Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Tony is offline

Default bathroom wall tile placement software.

After a horrendous experience with Procita Tile's "installers", I ripped out what they did and fired
them, never to let them into my house again. Room is 5' x 10'.

The "mechanic" started tiling my rear wall (which contains a window and the tub). I am using 10"(W)
x 14"(H) tiles. He made sure the tub was level and started from the tub and worked his way up. He
started with a full tile, which was his first mistake. I have a 2.5" listello that will go around
the room at 5'.5" high. He went up 3 rows of tile when he had to leave for a 2nd time to get the
right tiles I ordered. When he returned, he said they didnt have them and he had to go to another
job. So, he installed about 15 tiles and a few cut pieces for the outer edges of the wall.

A friend of mine came by and asked if he used a level around the room to make marks so that he knew
where all the tiles are going to be placed. Did he check to see if there would be small slithers
that could be avoided by starting with cut tiles? Well, he didnt do any of that. My friend also
noticed that the tiles that he started were installed wrong and not planned out. The way he had it,
I would have to have a cut tile to fit to where the listello would be. I do not want any tiles cut
in the middle of the wall. I want full tiles to surround the listello.

Also, my friend realized that one end of the tiles had a white side. The entire box is packed with
the white side facing one direction. When you place the tile with the white side up (or down), it
creates a uniform small 1/32" graut line. When you place them white to white, there is absolutely NO
graut line. When installed brown to brown, there is a 1/16" graut line. I dont care which way they
go but the installer placed all of them randomly and what I had were some tiles with NO graut line,
some with a tiny graut line and some with normal graut line. It looks terrible. I could have set
them straighter than this guy. He told me that once he grauts, I wont see anything. That isnt good
enough for me. I want it done right. I will not accept sloppy work and cover it up with graut.

So, I removed all of the tile before it was permanantly glued. I want to know if there is some type
of software that you could give your wall dimensions, include any structures (bathtub, window, etc)
and tell it your tile size and graut thickness, and have it figure out the best way to lay the tile
with the best looking cuts? It would be even better if it could compare the 4 walls and calculate it
that way because there would be a medicine cabinet on one wall, window on another, door, listellos,
etc, that would each effect the cuts of each wall.

If there is anything like this available, and I cannot believe there isnt, please let me know.

Thanks

Tonu