Posted to alt.home.repair
jJim McLaughlin jJim McLaughlin is offline

Default Installation cost of "porch ceiling"

aemeijers wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

MUCH SNIPPAGE

How about you do it with the help of the teenager next door?

I wish there still was 'the teenager next door!' I could sure use one for
the outside chores I'll never get around to. I have more money than time,
ambition, and energy these. Hell, with my allergies, 20-30 bucks a week to
mow my 100x300 yard with my mower and my gas, would seem like a bargain.
Hole lotta pruning that needs to happen, too.

But, sadly, ny neighborhood is all gray hairs or young couples with rug
rats. No kids I have noticed in the 'yard work' age range. And I can't bring
myself to hire a commercial lawn service at 50 bucks plus a pop.

In today's liability-paranoid, 1099/W2-required world, does anyone still
hire cash casual labor, especially involving gas-powered sharp things? (And
no, I don't mean the straw-hat wearing gentlemen hanging around the shady
side of Home Depot. Fine laborers in most cases, but mi no habla espanol.)

aem sends...

Does your local high school have a auto mechanics shop class?
Metal working class? Shop class?
Talk to the local shop teachers and I bet you find a kid with some sense
who ould use a few extra bucks.

Heck, around here, as summer comes and schools close,
lot of teachers go on to "second careers". I know several
who do painting and are good. Might find a grass cutter
at a lower price than a commercial service.