Posted to rec.woodworking
George George is offline

Default The Time / Money / Age Paradox

"charlieb" wrote in message
My question to the group:

If you've upgraded to a new (and improved, quicker, easier, more
accurate) tool and don't have the "extra space" to keep its predecessor,
what do you do with "its predecessor"?

a) Would you consider "passing it on" to someone
who could really use it but can't afford to buy it?

b) How do you find that person?

Describes what I do. If not my kids, some of the folks who drop by for shop
time or tips will do. The price? Nothing. Does carry a moral obligation
to pass it on for the same price to someone else if they upgrade.

If not an individual, it goes up to the school to add to their inventory.
My castoffs are normally as good or better than what they have. New guy
doesn't keep things as tuned and sharpened as they used to be. I considered
teaching tool maintenance as important as tool use.