Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best material/methodology to construct a low-cost custom electronics case?

On 19 May, 14:59, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 19 May 2007 04:17:45 -0700, tillius
wrote:

I'm building a prototype electronic device and need to construct a
case for the prototype. The approximated dimensions are 13" x 19" x
3", and it needs to have cooling slots in the bottom for fan driven
airflow.

Can't say I've ever had this problem.

Can anyone suggest a good way of racking vast piles of discarded
cabinets from old electronic equipment? These days the only bit that's
wroth recycling is the case and the power switch. I (and every other
electronics geek I've known) have truckloads of old cases just waiting
for projects that will never get built.

What specifically do you mean by 'good'? 2x2 uprights & chip shelves
are a simple option.

Another option that can fly in places with low ceilings is a long
shelf 6" below the ceiling, onto which various kit is placed, with the
leads coming down to working height. Good where space is needed and
access to kit is only needed here and there. Eg power supplies,
servers, desktop PCs, UPS, pattern gens, etc

NT