Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default Installation cost of "porch ceiling"

MiamiCuse wrote:
I need to install T1-11 boards as ceiling in a porch area. I have
about 800 SF of porch space and I was quoted a price of $6500 to
install it (labor + material). The labor involves cutting the 4x8
sheets to the porch dimension, in some areas I have overhead hi-hats
so those need to be cut. For the most part it is pretty straight and
uncomplicated. It does NOT include the cost of painting the boards. The
materials will be the boards themselves which sells for about
$22.00 per sheet in local lumber yards, staple guns and nails. Now
this works out to be $8/SF. This is more expensive than laying tiles!

I asked the guy and he said hanging stuff upside down (the porch is 7
feet from the floor reachable by hand without being on a ladder) is
very difficult and that is why its so expensive.

Anyone knows what the on going rate should be?

Thanks in advance,

You're in Miami, right? You've got box stores in the neighborhood?

Here's a starting plan:

Buy the material and have it delivered. Paint the raw material yourself.

Drive down to the box store parking lot, find a worker waiting for a day
job. Somebody with his own tools. Let him pick his own co-worker. Offer
$20/hr for him, $15/hr for the helper.

Plan on actively supervising the project.

When the big job is done, go back and touch-up the painting.