Posted to alt.home.repair
Kiwanda Kiwanda is offline

Default Anchoring new shed to existing pad?

On May 18, 9:13 pm, wrote:
On 18 May 2007 09:41:44 -0700, Kiwanda wrote:

Hi-

The previous owners left us with a 9x12' slab they had poured for a
dog kennel; it happens to be in the same place I want to build a shed.
The slab is 7" deep and though it's an obvious DIY job it has held up
for 10+ Minnesota winters. Assuming I want to build an 8x12 shed on
PT sills atop this slab, what's the best way to anchor the sills?
With a new pour I'd just use bolts but I'm not sure what the best
method is in this case. FYI, we're in tornado country and do see
gusts in the 50-60 MPH range during thunderstorms or blizzards a few
times a year, so I want to make sure this shed stays put.

thanks,

kiwanda

Anchoringthe sole plate to the concrete will keep it there but the
rest of the shed can still go off to Dorothy land.
In Florida they either want the whole shed built to wind code and tied
to a real bell footer with steel in it or you strap over the roof.

Thanks for the tips. No code issues here for sheds at all, so my
primary concern is simply to keep it from becoming a projectile in a
typical wind; most of the sheds in my neighborhood aren't anchored at
all but typically sit on treated timbers or pier blocks. My site is
sheltered by an existing garage, 6' fences, and a huge silver maple,
so I'm just planning to anchor the sills and design in reasonable wind
bracing.

-kiwanda