Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] john.sabine@gmail.com is offline

Default OT - Help! Minor repairs to home needed

On 19 May, 11:36, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
We do indeed, alas nowhere near N London! I do a lot of work like this -
making good after errant tradesmen.

There is plenty of work about ... both making good after others, but
also simply taking on the small jobs that others can't be bothered
with.
I think one of the strengths of the various handyman services is that
they provide a one-stop shop - someone will turn up, reseal your
shower, stop the tap drippng, change a light fitting and fit a new
lock,
all in one visit. Plumbers, sparkies, chippies don't generally offer
this
flexibility.

There are quite a few such companies around now, especially in London
(disclaimer: I now work for one of them) and I'd be inclined
to think that if the OP doesn't want to take on at least some of the
tasks himself then they're probably the best solution.

Moreover, from a survey I just completed for B&Q, it appears that they
are thinking of offering a handyman service - i.e. you go into the
store and book one against a set of hourly rates.

Interesting. I'll keep an eye on that.

My understanding of the B&Q service is that has been trialled
from Wandsworth and another sto Google and the Kingfisher
annual report say that they're planning to extend it to 25 stores
in the near future.

http://www.kingfisher.com/managed_co...files/reports/
annual_report_2007/index.asp?pageid=21

I *think* that it may have been fixed, task-based pricing rather than
time-based, but I'm not sure.

John