Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default OT - Help! Minor repairs to home needed

On Sat, 19 May 2007 03:44:40 -0700, BlueJohn wrote:

On 19 May, 11:36, "The Medway Handyman"
On 2007-05-19 10:17:48 +0100, BlueJohn said:

snip

So - does anyone know of anyone who might consider this work and do
it to a reasonable standard? We're willing to pay decent cash for a
clearly defined and agreed couple of days work with no hidden
complications or meddling from us. I can also supply all materials,
tea, cakes, entertainment or other request as needed.

Given our past experience though, we will have to ask for at least
two references to check, because if it goes wrong this time - we're
stuffed.

Thanks for listening.

We have our own resident handyman.

We do indeed, alas nowhere near N London! I do a lot of work like this
- making good after errant tradesmen.

Moreover, from a survey I just completed for B&Q, it appears that they
are thinking of offering a handyman service - i.e. you go into the
store and book one against a set of hourly rates.

Interesting. I'll keep an eye on that.

Thanks for the B&Q tip - I'll see if I can find out more on that.

I've also just been talking to somebody else who is in a similar position
- seems there are quite a few of us in limbo: not enough work to attract a
normal builder, and not enough DIY skills to do it ourselves.

It might be worth considering some kind of 'co-operative' if there are
several of you in the same boat. Surely, you can't all be totally devoid
of all the necessary skills for quite minor works.

Of course, the really hard bit is making a proper cup of tea since it
requires an exiting Prime Minister to do that.

Cic.

--
Using Ubuntu Linux