Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default Best material/methodology to construct a low-cost custom electronics case?

On May 19, 12:17 pm, tillius wrote:
I'm building a prototype electronic device and need to construct a
case for the prototype. The approximated dimensions are 13" x 19" x
3", and it needs to have cooling slots in the bottom for fan driven
airflow.

I'd like as light-weight, but strong material as possible.

My one thought was to recycle PET soda bottles and develop a home-made
pour/compression mold, but I'm not certain that's the practical way.

Or, perhaps using a pourable resin (polyester or epoxy?)

Finally, I've considered a shop-build vacuum forming table, but I'm
concerned about forming the support ribs on the inside of the bottom
case half.

Why not just get an old desktop computer and gut it? A Dell P1 or
early P II might do.