Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Help! Minor repairs to home needed

On 2007-05-19 10:17:48 +0100, BlueJohn said:

Posting this to a DIY group is a little odd I know, but...

I have a flat in North London that was in need of some renovation (a
new kitchen, some bathroom work, etc). The builder we got to do it
fitted the kitchen, but bodged the rest and ran off leaving the place
a wreak. Small claims court sorted us out eventually, but now we need
to get the damage repaired.

We are now having a hell of a time getting anyone interested in doing
it. The list of work is small, bitty stuff: complete the tiled floor,
repair or re-skim patches of plastering, wire in some lights, fit
some skirting boards... about 15 items of that nature. It does not
include decoration or surface preparation though.

So - does anyone know of anyone who might consider this work and do
it to a reasonable standard? We're willing to pay decent cash for a
clearly defined and agreed couple of days work with no hidden
complications or meddling from us. I can also supply all materials,
tea, cakes, entertainment or other request as needed.

Given our past experience though, we will have to ask for at least
two references to check, because if it goes wrong this time - we're
stuffed.

Thanks for listening.

We have our own resident handyman.

We do indeed, alas nowhere near N London! I do a lot of work like this -
making good after errant tradesmen.

Moreover, from a survey I just completed for B&Q, it appears that they
are thinking of offering a handyman service - i.e. you go into the
store and book one against a set of hourly rates.

Interesting. I'll keep an eye on that.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman