Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default DAB aerial

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes
In article . com,
Robert Laws wrote:
BTW I doubt you actually remember FM from the '50s. With the exception
of Wrotham (London), the quality of the landlines feeding the
transmitters was dreadful. By the time you got a couple of hundred
miles of them the actual bandwidth transmitted on FM was no greater
than MW - on a decent receiver.

You are right, I should have said "a step back from the 1970s.
Although I did listen to FM in the 1960s it's really the era of FM
stereo that I compare DAB with unfavourably.

My regret is that they went for "lots of stations" instead of improved
sound quality.

Mine too - I don't see the need for all those pop stations transmitting
seemingly identical material. And despite my age I do try and keep up with
the latest trends.

Fair comment

However, the fact remains that DAB take up - when the data rates were
decent - was very poor and didn't really take off until that choice was
there. Chicken or egg, I don't know.

Thats cos sets were expensive the right sort of silicon wasn't around..
--
Tony Sayer