Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Installation cost of "porch ceiling"

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...

MiamiCuse wrote:
I need to install T1-11 boards as ceiling in a porch area. I have about
800
SF of porch space and I was quoted a price of $6500 to install it (labor
+
material). The labor involves cutting the 4x8 sheets to the porch
dimension, in some areas I have overhead hi-hats so those need to be cut.
For the most part it is pretty straight and uncomplicated. It does NOT
include the cost of painting the boards. The materials will be the
boards
themselves which sells for about $22.00 per sheet in local lumber yards,
staple guns and nails. Now this works out to be $8/SF. This is more
expensive than laying tiles!

I asked the guy and he said hanging stuff upside down (the porch is 7
feet
from the floor reachable by hand without being on a ladder) is very
difficult and that is why its so expensive.

Anyone knows what the on going rate should be?

Thanks in advance,

MC

You already know the rough cost of materials, so ask the contractor
how long the job will take. If, for example he says 3 days, call that
24 work hours times two for an installer and helper, or 48 hours
labor, so round that off to 50 hours to allow cleanup time. With
material at about $600. that leaves $5900 in labor cost, so the two
guys are making $118 per hour. This is two to three times what most
tradesmen will ask for. If the $5900 is near correct, then an
installer and helper at $45 per hour would take 130 some hours or more
than three weeks.
Seems to me things aren't quite right there. Might be a good idea to
get some other quotes and references while you're at it. Good luck.

Joe

That's a good way to figure it. Thanks!

MC