Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default car stereo

On Fri, 18 May 2007 06:16:09 -0400, Charlie Morgan wrote:

On 18 May 2007 00:04:22 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

"Rudge" wrote in
news:Id6dnXRNVrY8TNHbnZ2dnUVZ8sGvnZ2d@brightview .co.uk:

"mm" wrote in message
On 16 May 2007 18:20:51 -0700, wrote:

i was wondering if there was anyway possible to take a car stereo
system and inbed it into lets say a wall and hook it up to speakers
and everything but run it off of the electrical outlet in the house?
what would i need to rig up so that i could avoid the whole car
battery set up which would need a constant charging that would build
up hydrogen gas and pose as a potential fire hazzard? if any of
that made sense, i appreciate your help.

If you are doing this to get stations you can't get on your AC
radios, I"m told it won't work. I'm told car radios get such good
reception because of the car itself, maybe because it forms a ground
plane around the base of the antenna.

If that is true, how well do the radios in Saturns work? They have
all plastic bodies.

No,Saturns have plastic panels over a steel chassis.
Mostly on the sides,I believe the roof is still steel.

Car stereo works just fine in my fiberglass sailboat. The "antenna" is just a
long antenna cable extension with the shielding stripped off of the last 31
inches. It's tucked up inside the headliner inside the cabin.

Well, I remember who gave me the ground plane story. It was a friend
who works in an ancillary part of communications. Don't know where he
got his information, but he could very well have been wrong.

He even offered me a ready-made box that sounded like it was designed
to hold a car radio and power supply. He's been trying to clean up so
I hope he still has it.

If I had done this earlier it might have been good, convenient and
saved me time. Otoh, it's not like I've suffered so bad these past
years. One GE AM-FM clock radio from 1972, in my office, gets one of
the 2 DC stations well enough all the time, and the other station
about welll enough almost a half of the time. It will work for weeks
and then not work for weeks. I think they change things at the
transmitting station in DC. WAMU. It's this radio I guess that is
motivating me to find a better replacment.

The radio in the bedroom gets both, and both well, though lately it
has't been getting the local Baltiomre station WYPR so well. That was
perfect for 15 or 20 years! Maybe they changed the transmitter too.

The current very cheap looking Admiral clock radio from tthe 1960's or
70's gets both, although WAMU not perfectly.

Plus I keep a radio outside in the summer time. I think it got both
stations but I haven't listened yet and I forget how well.

But these are the best of about 20 radios I've bought at yard sales,
plus two fairly expensive stereo tuners, which don't get WAMU at all.

Thanks to everyone. Maybe I'll be able to give some follow-up some
day.

CWM