Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Ashby Peter Ashby is offline

Default Laminate flooring on worktop

Ian_m wrote:

"Inge Jones" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have had to rule out buying normal worktop due to my inability to
handle materials of that weight or size. I need to construct all my
projects out of smaller pieces of material that can be assembled in
situ. So I am making my kitchen worktop out of a double layer of
normal contiboard panels.

Then I have to consider what to surface it with. I tried tiles in my
last kitchen and I am *not* doing that again! Not very enjoyable in
use or to clean

Ideally I would ask a builders merchant to cut me some laminate sheet
to size, but searching the archives of this newsgroup it seems it's
getting harder and harder to buy formica sheet or similar.

My next idea was to use laminate flooring. It's supposed to be
hardwearing and scratch resistant, and I could use a good waterproof
glue to stick it together. Any views on this? I don't think it
will need expansion gaps etc as it's only going to be a tiny area
compared with a whole floor.

Some laminate flooring specifically says "not for food preparation" as it
contains preservative/varnish/laquer with fungicide/preservative in.

You may have to go for the real wood stuff, either the engineered stuff
(thick real wood veneer) or solid wood. If you get the unfinished stuff
you can then finish it with food safe finishes, oil would be my
preference, especially since you can renew it.

Do you not know anyone (a friend's teenage son for eg) that you can slip
a tenner to to help with lifting worktop? also have you actually tried
to lift some. The chipboard based ones aren't too heavy.

Also you can often get away without lifting these things. To cut the
full length for eg you set up the saw horses, lift one end, place on
first saw horse, got to other end and slide it, you never lift the whole
thing.

Peter
www.the-brights.net