Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC problems - Leaking Evaporator Coils

However, the
: life of the condensor does bring up some questions i.e. has the
low
: freon pressure caused some damege?
CY: Probably not.

How long would a condensor unit
: last?

CY: Typically twenty years.

If the condensor unit breaks down, would that mean replacement
: of the evaporator coil again as the new standars have jumped to
13
: SEER?

CY: yes, but that's not really likely.

:
: I was wondering if the experts on this forum can comment on the
: pricing of these options and offer advice on the
options/concerns to
: deal with this issue.

CY: Eight years is pretty young for a condensor. I'd suggest the
10 seer coil, and have the tech take the cover off the outdoor
unit and clean it with water and chemicals to get the dust out.
You aren't likely to save two grand in electric over the next few
years.

:
: Thanks
: