Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Old a/c unit, never used, still good?

On 18 May 2007 06:58:54 -0700, J wrote:

I have been offered an old air conditioning unit by a relative. The
machine is a Sears window unit that is fifteen years old and has never
been out of the box. Only the top of the box has been opened but
nothing has been taken out. The box has been stored in one place with
top up. Will this machine work properly if I try and use it. I don't
know the model number. All I know if that it cost my relative about
$500 fiftenn years ago. Any help would be appreciated.

What a deal! I'd go get it.

(I wouldn't cut a hole in a wall, or even mount it in a window,
without testing it first. But that's not because it's 15 years old.
It's because if it doesn't work for any reason -- even a new ac can be
broken -- you can't take it back and get one that works, like you
could if you bought one from a store that an ongoing supply of ACs.

Cheers . . . J