Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default More on lead-free junk solder

"Jerry Peters" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Roy the Rebel" wrote

The pillocks that came up with this law obviously know nothing about
electronics. I call on all servicemen everywhere to defy this stupid
legislation as it is unworkable. Stock up with with as much leaded
solder
as you can and USE it! Screw the rules, I say.

Pillocks indeed. It is an ill-thought-through piece of legislation
intended
to protect the environment from a threat which many of us believe did
not
exist from lead in its solder form, in the first place. It is a typical
bit
of euro-nonsense, but unfortunately, this "save the planet" hysteria,
whilst
being laudable in principle, and absolutely fine if applied with common
sense, has now taken on almost the mantle of a religion, with green as
its
god, and anyone who goes against it is branded as a worthless heretic.

Spot on. And the unthinking clueless rabble who support it only care
about
simplistic ideas like "lead is bad" despite its very valuable uses in
many
areas.

Even worse is that their nonsense has now actually become
counter-productive.
Lead-free soldering will result in shorter product lifetimes which will
result
in *more waste* !!!

Graham

I'm waiting for the day when they catch on to lead flashing on roofs.
It's
the perfect product for the job, and never needs replacing in the
lifetime
of the building. But wait ! Isn't that acid rain washing down over it
year
in year out? Must be causing huge quantities of that naughty lead stuff
be getting into our kids' brains and making the teachers look stupid.
Better
replace it with a lead-free product that costs four times as much, and
leaks
after 3 years ! Better yet, the new replacement product self degrades in
just 10 years under the influence of the sun's UV !!

Excellent ! Draft the new Euro-reg right now, and work out some penalties
for using the old stuff. Create a new department with an army of
enforcement
agents, and give them each a 4x4 so that they can get to the building
sites
without a problem ...

Seriously though, it's really beginning to feel like it's going that way.
or
is it just me ??

Arfa

How about this one:
http://ellsworthmaine.com/site/index...46&Ite mid=31

Not lead, but mercury in compact flourescent bulbs, and what happens
when you have imbecile who gets the government involved.

Jerry

Oh boy - don't start me on that one. The Euro-****s are already on this.
They are now trying to totally ban the sale of all incandescent light bulbs
in Europe, by 2010 I think it is. It has been advocated by that Merkel woman
from Germany, I believe, and of course, Blair has signed up to it without
question. All in the name of the great god "Green" again.

In theory, CFLs already contain more mercury than can be legally disposed of
at a council tip. My local tip ( Borough Council Recycling Centre - Ha ! )
has facilities for taking ordinary fluorescent tubes off you, but no
specific facilities for CFLs. Winter in our latitudes are cold and dark -
just ideal for CFLs - NOT!! When I turn a light on, irrespective of what the
air temperature is, I want LIGHT. I do not want to have to wait 3 minutes
whilst the bloody thing warms up and goes through a range of colours from
cat urine yellow to Venus on a summer's night white ...

As far as the 'lack of efficiency' thing goes, there is a groundswell of
alternate opinion on this, in that the 'wasted' energy is released as heat,
which actually serves to offset the heating requirements of the house, given
that most dwellings these days are well insulated to *prevent* the loss of
heat to the outside. So for every 50 watts of lost efficiency from a 60 watt
light bulb, that's basically 50 watts of house heating not required. If this
additional input is lost, then it will have to be put back in from the
outside.

Then there's the fact that CFLs contain a switching inverter circuit,
containing a number of components that all have to be manufactured, then
shipped, then assembled onto a pcb that has to be made and shipped. Then all
of that has to be integrated into a package design that is much more complex
to manufacture, and containing many more component parts than a conventional
light bulb. Remember that all of those parts have to be made and shipped as
well. Now add in a smattering of dangerous chemicals, including mercury and
the tri-phosphor compounds employed to turn the UV into visible light, and
what do you finish up with ? A potentially dangerous household item ( see
Jerry's article link ) that weighs twice as much as a conventional bulb - so
needs a higher energy budget for shipping - that's actually not terribly
good at doing what's needed of it, which is supplying light of a good visual
quality, in the quantities needed, exactly //when// and //where// it's
needed ...

Just as an additional aside, these things can also be sources of huge
quantities of RF noise spanning great swathes of RF spectrum over
significant physical distances, when they get old, or when the caps in the
inverter start going bad.

See - I told you that you shouldn't get me started on this one ... !! d:~}

Arfa