Posted to sci.electronics.repair
nipperchipper nipperchipper is offline

Default New TV

"Engineer" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 18, 5:41 pm, Ken wrote:
Frank wrote:
Looking to replace our TV. With all that's out there now I am confused
Plasma ? LCD? Projection? 750 or 1080 P
Most of you hear this all the time sorry but help would be
appreciated. would like 37 to 42" screen
Ktech

http://www.hdtvinfoport.com/HDTV-Glossary.html

Not my field (I'm strictly audio), so others can correct me...
For nominally same size TV:
LCD cheaper than Plasma

yes

LCD lower power consumption than plasma

lcd 250w constant draw of power due to back light plasma varies with
brightness over all very close to the same in power use

Plasma brighter than LCD at the bright end

lcd better in bright rooms plasma for the rest

Plasma shorter life than LCD

Panels in both (panasonic) rated at 60,000 hours

I've forgotten which has the "best deep blacks"

plasma contrast ratio 10000 to 1 lcd 5000 to 1 plasma produces better
blacks

Hope this helps.
I don't expect to buy a flat screen TV very soon as we've just
inherited a newish CRT based 27 inch TV.
Cheers,
Roger