Posted to alt.home.repair
charlie charlie is offline

Default How to mount 'decorative' logs into stucco/block exterior walls - part 2

"tr" wrote in message
oups.com...
"I have a rather traditional territorial house that we are repainting
and want to add a little more "western' touch too. Many homes out
here
have 16" - 18" long 4" to 6 inch round log/post sections protruding
from the upper
area of the exterior walls

What would be the best way to install these into an existing wall...we
want to put one about every 10-12 ft. Are they normally just cemented
into the hole bored into the block..or is there a fastener of some
kind that is used.

I'm planning on renting a boring machine from the rental place to bore
these holes uniformly. Will be using 4" posts and figured on boring
5" or 6" holes.

Thought about using a lag screw and anchor in the inside center of the
hole...but simply cementing these in seems a lot easier and just as
solid ?

Any and all ideas are welcomed...

Tim R

they're put in with large screws into the framing behind them, then they
have stucco placed around them. they frequently leak, and have to be weather
protected forever. they always wind up splitting too.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az