Posted to alt.home.repair
HankC HankC is offline

Default water heater pilot

On May 14, 8:36 am, HankC wrote:
Twice in a year, my water heater's pilot light has gone out and the
drip pan overflowed. I cannot tell which causes the other.

The water is not from the heat/pressure release tube, the overflow
does not reach the pilot and there are no live leaks.

Any hints?

HankC

....Update...

The plumber came to check the water heater and noted the nearby a/c
unit's condensation overflow uses the same drain. This is a 2nd floor
closet installation.

The drain was clogged and the a/c overflow backflowed into the w/h
pan. This explains why it started again in May after not occuring all
winter.

The fix was to cut out some flooring, run individual drains each with
it's own cleanout and trap to the main floor drain and recover the
floor with some sheet metal. Lots of elbows but a total bill of $180.

A new 40-gal natural gas water heater would have been $560 installed
here.

HankC