Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
charlie charlie is offline

Default car stereo

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
mm wrote:
If you are doing this to get stations you can't get on your AC radios,
I"m told it won't work. I'm told car radios get such good reception
because of the car itself, maybe because it forms a ground plane
around the base of the antenna.

If that is true, how well do the radios in Saturns work? They have
all plastic bodies.

The main problem with plastic bodied cars is interference from the car
ignition, etc. On others the engine is in a sort of Faraday cage. Hence
the earthing straps you often see across the bonnet (hood) hinges.
Although this is mainly for the benefit of others to prevent RFI to TVs
etc. But it helps the car radio too.

huh? there's plenty of holes around the engine so that it's not a faraday
cage. most radios have some sort of filter for this. for that matter, my
vette doesn't have any of these and the radio works in it.

--
*Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.