Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty Banty is offline

Default Thinking about.....buying home with mold

In article 7256d74c06555@uwe, cherie9g says...

I believe it is just surface mold. We pulled up the carpet and there was no
water marks what so ever or any mold residue underneath the carpet. It was
the basement that flooded as I was told. It wasn't even all the way, it was
just the subpump that was broken for a little while but is fixed now. I am
going to the house again on Sunday to do some cleanup tests...grab just a
little bleach and do some test spots to see if it is just surface. The wall
isn't bubbling or cracking or anything, we have checked the floors, no soft
spots... I was also thinking about buying a mold kit....so after we do the
small bleach tests....to see if we disturbed any of the spores and see if it
is airborne. If something forms I will consider sending it in to see if it
is black mold. If it is anything else I will not be as concerned...
especially if it is just surface. I will see if I can take pictures on
Sunday and I will try to post them up here for all of you.

It might not be a big deal, then. Is the mold known, or presumed? You'll have
to disclose, but you don't have to disclose what you don't know about, let alone
what you looked for and didn't find.

I do not think the market is the best right now to flip, although I am
getting pressure from my boyfriend to do so (because that is all that he is
used to doing and this is a great price). I would love to live in this home
for at least 3 years and make renovations to it....even finish out the
basement, maybe add another bath down there (since it is only 1.5 baths).

DANGER WILL ROBINSON. (Or rather, danger Cherie).

Your boyfriend is your boyfriend, not your business partner or your husband.
With no legally recognized financial relationship, you can be taking a bath on
this all alone.

If he has been flipping houses, where are the proceeds from that, or has he been
successful?? Why isn't he funding the purchase of this house if he wants to
make a project of this?

Think about it...

Banty