Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock Brian Sharrock is offline

Default DAB aerial

"Mark" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 May 2007 10:44:44 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
Another odd notion.. DAB is supposed to replace FM so we're replacing
something that does work well very well, with an inferior system!..

I don't know where you have this notion that FM works very well. For a
start, stereo is a cludge. It's a poor system for anything other than a
fixed installation. It may have been state of the art when introduced 50
odd years ago, but things have moved on a bit since then.

IIRC mono FM (i.e. L+R) is transmitted using FM and the stereo part
(L-R) is actually transmitted using AM, which is poorer quality.

Uh?

FM receivers rely on a frequency _discriminator_ to detect modulation and
are essentially indifferent to the amplitude of the transmitted signal. How
does your hypothesised receiver detect this 'AM' signal?

--

Brian