Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Richard J Kinch Richard J Kinch is offline

Default R-22 vs. R410a (Puron)

Noon-Air writes:

Efficiency is simply the ratio of two scalar physical quantities:
heat moved to power consumed. For example, BTUs per watt-hour. Coil
or compressor volume is not a factor.

So why is it that the coils size, volume, refrigerant quantity,
compressor size, compressor capacity are so much larger on the R-22
systems to get the same efficiency and BTU ratings as the same
equipment in R-410a????

That's an interesting issue, but it is not a matter of efficiency.

I can only tell you what I *SEE* from direct, hands on experience, and
what I am learning from the manufacturers tech reps, and engineers.

Your observations are fine. Your analysis of those observations is
muddled as regards efficiency.

The profit motive tends to overpower critical thinking. Here is some
typical blarney from a Peirce-Phelps, Inc Web page that shills for
Carrier (http://www.nopay.com/aircond_38TZA.asp):

PuronŽ refrigerant is a more energy efficient refrigerant than FreonŽ*
22, and with the 38TZA, that means efficiency ratings up to 14 SEER
(Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio).

Now if it is more efficient, up to 14 SEER, then this implies there is
no R-22 system of 14 SEER or more. Which is false.