Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default car stereo

In article ,
mm wrote:
I did install a folded dipole in the attic and connect a radio to
that. The only AM station I really wanted to get has changed
frequencies and is now so weak I can't get it in the car either. It
changed formats too so I don't even want it now.

The AM aerial I have here in the UK covers LW, MW and SW and is an
externally mounted vertical rod about 4 metres long with a type of balun
on the end. The cable is a twin screened balanced type - a special for
those frequencies. At the other end is a second transformer that does
balanced to unbalanced to feed a tuner. The principle is that most
interference at these frequencies radiates horizontally, so you put the
aerial above it and have a well screened downlead. Not a cheap device but
it works well and is a one time purchase.

If you only need the one station, I'd consider mounting the receiver in
your attic so the aerial is close and in a good position and radio link it
to the other(s) in the house.

--
*Real men don't waste their hormones growing hair

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.