Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Default Videotapes that record picture but not sound

mm wrote:
Is it possible to have previosly used videotapes that will record
picture but not sound? Or sound that plays with very diminished
volume?

I got some tapes from my uncle that I played once and then put them
into my blank tape pool. They may have outnumbered the tapes that
were there, and I can't tell which are which. Usually I throw away
tapes when the picture gets bad.

But lately I've been having trouble with both old and newly acquired
but vouched for vcrs that do ok to excellent on the picture, but have
no sound or very low sound. It's hard to imagine that the sound
circuit has failed on so many vcrs at the same time, so I'm wondering
if it could be the tapes I'm using.

First check the edges of the tapes as suggested. Or even better check
on another known good vcr.
if they are alright, chances are the Audio/control head in the vcr is
dirty - clean it with a cotton bud dipped in pure alcohol.

it may be useful to watch the tape path with the vcr top off. if there
is any unevenness or slanting of the tape as it passes the a/c head
and capstan, then the pinch roller may need replacing. This is a very
common fault. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. check the other
things first.

-B
-B.