Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chris Jones Chris Jones is offline

Default More on lead-free junk solder

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Roy the Rebel" wrote

The pillocks that came up with this law obviously know nothing about
electronics. I call on all servicemen everywhere to defy this stupid
legislation as it is unworkable. Stock up with with as much leaded
solder
as you can and USE it! Screw the rules, I say.

Pillocks indeed. It is an ill-thought-through piece of legislation
intended
to protect the environment from a threat which many of us believe did
not exist from lead in its solder form, in the first place. It is a
typical bit
of euro-nonsense, but unfortunately, this "save the planet" hysteria,
whilst
being laudable in principle, and absolutely fine if applied with common
sense, has now taken on almost the mantle of a religion, with green as
its
god, and anyone who goes against it is branded as a worthless heretic.

Spot on. And the unthinking clueless rabble who support it only care
about simplistic ideas like "lead is bad" despite its very valuable uses
in many areas.

Even worse is that their nonsense has now actually become
counter-productive.
Lead-free soldering will result in shorter product lifetimes which will
result
in *more waste* !!!

Graham

I'm waiting for the day when they catch on to lead flashing on roofs. It's
the perfect product for the job, and never needs replacing in the lifetime
of the building. But wait ! Isn't that acid rain washing down over it year
in year out? Must be causing huge quantities of that naughty lead stuff to
be getting into our kids' brains and making the teachers look stupid.
Better replace it with a lead-free product that costs four times as much,
and leaks after 3 years ! Better yet, the new replacement product self
degrades in just 10 years under the influence of the sun's UV !!

Excellent ! Draft the new Euro-reg right now, and work out some penalties
for using the old stuff. Create a new department with an army of
enforcement agents, and give them each a 4x4 so that they can get to the
building sites without a problem ...

Seriously though, it's really beginning to feel like it's going that way.
or is it just me ??

Arfa

No way, ordinary consumers would understand and object to banning of lead
flashing, whereas complaining about solder seems a bit too geeky and so
won't make the news. The only time I ever saw anything about RoHS in the
ordinary news was when some church-organ-maker was complaining because the
traditional material for his lead organ pipes would be banned unless he
replaced the electric blower with some kind of manual pump, to make it
non-electric. Of course that got an exception, something like because it
was a fixed installation in the building. I wonder if you nail down your
TV to the floor.....

Seriously though, aluminium flashing (not alloy but very PURE aluminium)
will last quite a long time in the rain (according to my grandfather who
would probably have known, because he did build rooves over a period of
well over half a century. He was also a big fan of lead paint and hated
the new stuff because it wouldn't last hardly any time, probably not even
50 years...)

Chris