Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
New Leaf New Leaf is offline

Default My neighbor was scammed by driveway spraying scammers

On May 13, 2:23 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"New Leaf" wrote

I had the same thing happen with guys delivering mulch years ago. When
they asked for more than the original estimate and I said I wouldn't
pay more, they stared me down and said, "It's not like we don't know
where you live." It was crappy mulch, too.

Viv

They also can take note of such things as: what kind of a car you drive so
they know if you're home or not, bicycles, other cars, tools, mowers, if you
have a dog or not, other items convertible to cash.

Doing business with people who solicit door to door is dangerous stuff.

Steve

It was a good lesson to learn with a relatively small amount of money.

These guys had cashed my check in the 10 minutes it took to call my
bank and put a stop on it. The person at the bank (back when you knew
people in your individual branch and didn't call a 1-800 number) told
me how sorry they were and that I wasn't the first person that day who
had been scammed. My neighbour's husband came home and said, "How
stupid were you that you hadn't heard of mulch scammers?!?!?" Well,
gee, pretty stupid I guess.

Viv