Chuck

Default Carport Framing Question

SteveB

Thank you very much for that very informative response.
The steel building suppliers in the area have all of the materials that you
have
mentioned. The rest of the story that I didn't include in my original post
( I didn't want to cloud the issue ) is that the carport will supported on
2 sides, the back and left sides. This would mean that I would only need 1
post to support the right side towards the front of the carport . I wanted a
clean way to fasten the horizontal beams to my house on the left and in the
back of the structure, and I thought that a 2x4x1/8" rectangle tube would
work
and look cool welded to plates bolted to the house. Using a 4" tube would
also give me more clearance than a 10 or 12 " beam. I guess I just wanted
something a little different.
The carport is to be 22' wide and 20' deep. My plan is to use 3 purlins 2'
from the front and back sides and 1 in the middle of the 16' span at 8'.

Does this sound reasonable?

I also am of the opinion of doing it right the first time and be done with
it.

I thank you for your time and information.

Chuck in Phoenix