Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Ashby Peter Ashby is offline

Default Saving the planet

Mike Halmarack wrote:

On 17 May 2007 01:37:36 -0700, wrote:

[A lot.]

What I want to know is why do we want to save the planet anyway?
So we can carry on splattering Iraqi kids over mud walls, or squeeze
and grind Africans dry for oil and minerals? I wouldn't give you
tuppence for the frigging planet.
Then again, hosting the Olympic Games is something of an honour and
privilege, so let's wait 'til we've done that before making any
drastic decisions.

It should be a matter of naked self interest. If you live in the SE you
will either drown or die of thirst for one thing. Either that or some of
the couple of billion or so estimated displaced poor people will come
camp on YOUR hilltop. We are already seeing the sorts of effects. The
conflict in Darfur is environmental in origin, there is not enough rain
to grow enough stuff for BOTH 'African' agrarian farmers and 'Arab'
animal herders. These people have been living in the region sharing its
resources for hundreds of years. Why are they suddenly killing each
other? the climate has changed and resources are scarce. Water is
already scarce in the SE and the great house build is not helping, how
long will society last when you have to compete with your neighbours for
water from a tanker at the end of the street?

Peter
www.the-brights.net