SteveB

Default Carport Framing Question

"Old Nick" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:43:01 -0700, "Chuck"
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

OK. My first serious reply.

Flat roof or gabled? Webbed or atrium/cathedral? Are you going to use
purlins?

Who is going to pin the bell on the cat?

You ask whether the material will sag under its own weight. Who will
walk around there putting the sheeting on? How much will they (you)
weigh?

It all gets messy. take a 100 X 50 RHS, and support it it at the ends.
Does it sag? If not then it won't. That's steel as distinct from
timber. It does what it will do. Now stand on it. Does it deform?
Deforming is not just bending. If it deforms it won't come back.

Now get 3 of them and build a mockup of the three 100 X 50 RHS beams
and the purlins between them. Walk around on that.

Then maybe go back to the tube makers and ask for specs. Also ask the
Shire/city.

Seriously. the makers have spans for beams, purlins, webbing, loads
etc.

Here is not the fair place to ask.

Don't be negative, Nick. I think the poster has received some good advice
so far.

Remember what Henry Ford said, " Whether you think you can or you think you
can't, you're right."

Some netnanny will probably correct me if I am not explicitly correct, or if
it was Rodney Dangerfield who said it instead of Henry Ford, but you get the
gist of the deal.

Carports are simple with readily available materials. And I DO mean simple.

Steve