Paul Amaranth

Default Niagra shear

(Asp3211968) wrote in message ...
the depression is so you can move your piece of metal, you stick your hand in
it. if it cut 16ga steel it will cut 20ga stainless and 12ga aluminum. if you
send me a picture i can give you more info. sharpening the blades can be
tricky, depending on the blade, some are easy just grind flat others have an
angle.

Thanks, I'll get that out in a day or so. I don't think this thing
weighs more than 1200 pounds or so; it hardly dropped the bed on the
truck when it was loaded.

There was at least one repair - the front blade guard was replaced
with a piece of C channel (I could tell it wasn't original from the
crappy welds). If I can get a pic of a similar model, I'll probably
want to fab something more like the original.

The bottom blade might be reversible, I haven't been able to get a
good look at the top blade yet. By eyeball, it looks like a square
grind. I'll have to see if I can get a little square in there to
check. If it's something like a 1 degree bevel though, I wouldn't be
able to tell without taking the blade off entirely and unless it has
real problems, that won't happen for a while.

Some twit walked off with the front table extensions before I picked
it up. Not a big deal, but annoying.

Is there a rule of thumb for the blade clearance? Should it be
something like .002-.003 inch?

Paul