Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack Mike Halmarack is offline

Default Laminate flooring on worktop

On 17 May 2007 02:30:38 -0700, Inge Jones wrote:

I have had to rule out buying normal worktop due to my inability to
handle materials of that weight or size. I need to construct all my
projects out of smaller pieces of material that can be assembled in
situ. So I am making my kitchen worktop out of a double layer of
normal contiboard panels.

Then I have to consider what to surface it with. I tried tiles in my
last kitchen and I am *not* doing that again! Not very enjoyable in
use or to clean

Ideally I would ask a builders merchant to cut me some laminate sheet
to size, but searching the archives of this newsgroup it seems it's
getting harder and harder to buy formica sheet or similar.

My next idea was to use laminate flooring. It's supposed to be
hardwearing and scratch resistant, and I could use a good waterproof
glue to stick it together. Any views on this? I don't think it
will need expansion gaps etc as it's only going to be a tiny area
compared with a whole floor.

I think it's a great idea. Can't wait to try it. I know what you mean
about tiles, very unpleasant. I don't imagine granite is much
different but from what you write, granite's very likely off your list
too.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack