Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default How do I remove scratches in Stainless Steel?

On 2007-05-17 12:04:54 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2007-05-17 10:27:59 +0100, Shay said:

Hi all,
I had Tilers in yesterday. One of the jobs they did for me was to Tile
my kitchen.
This morning I noticed that they have left scratches in my new Astra-
Cast Sink... just in the one area. Like a little scuff.

How can get rid of these?

Thanks loads,
Shay

You don't.

You complain to the tilers and they can replace the sink and claim on
their insurance if they have it.

Sounds like a mad, mad world where everything with a "little scuff"
must go to landfill just so that blame can be apportioned and
retribution dished out.

The "little scuff" shouldn't have been put there in the first place.
It is perfectly easy for the tiler to have protected the surface using
tape or other suitable means of protection. This is carelessness on
the tiler's part pure and simple - there is no apportionment of blame,
that aspect is clear. The disposal of the sink is a matter for the
tiler as well.

Perhaps this will encourage the tiler to be more careful in the future.
It is that object lesson that will reduce the number of damaged sinks
(and it would appear basin pedestals) going to landfill sites.

IME these sort of incidents don't usually occur when the care is a two
way process. I've done jobs where I've had to clear the sink, wash up
the breakfast things and take the tea bags out of the plughole before I
could even think about starting work. That doesn't mean I trash the sink
but, where there's clutter, mistakes are more likely.