Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks
Lamey Lamey is offline

Default caulking questions

On 16 May 2007 20:53:31 -0700, toolguy wrote:

On May 16, 3:32 pm, curmudgeon wrote:
I work at Home Depot and I've forgotten more about paint and caulk than
you ever knew.

LOL, Then why do you *******s always sell the wrong **** to the
clueless noobs?

So Bite me!

Larry Caldwell wrote:

A retailer is the last place to look for advice. Big box stores are run
by salesmen who know nothing about building materials.

Before this turns into a flame war, let me try to help...

All the replies have some validity. All I can say is look at your
exact needs and abilities and go from there. Silicone does have more
durability, but is harder to work with (needs mineral spirits to clean
up). Many of the newer acrylic latex caulks designed for kitchen and
bath use will remain mildew free for several years thanks to
mildewicides they add to the product. Definitely stay away from
painter's grade caulk. See the old guy working in the paint department
at your local store and ask his advice.

Google it, If it's on the net, it's got to be true.

If you vinyl is peeling you need to know why. Is it an issue with the
adhesive, not enough, wrong kind? Is the vinyl just way too old? Is
the subfloor damaged in some way? Once you know the answer, your local
flooring store can make some recommendations as to how to fix. Just
adding caulk, and resting a brick on top will only be a temporary band-
aid if there is an underlying issue.

As far as the crack about retailers....There are good and bad, just
like there are good and bad contractors. A well trained retailer will
know more about the specific products he carries than the average
contractor that frequents his store. The question is, did you get a
good one? Someone looking to help won't throw around insults trying to
make himself feel better about his own limitations. If you ask the
right questions and listen to the answers, it's not hard to figure out
what someone's needs are. There are hundreds of different caulks
because there are hundreds of different needs.

Some of my best employees have been former Home Depot / Lowes
employees, and I've done business with contractors that I wouldn't
want to have sweeping my parking lot after I really got to know them.
Then again....the opposite is also true.

Yea! But can they cook?