Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default lead free solder with voc free water base

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Eeyore wrote:

bick wrote:

Is anyone using voc free, leadfree solder in there wave process??
Like to discuss some things about it. I have 25 years in the
manufacturing of printed circuits.
This process is much more diffacult than they lead us to beleive.

Surprise !

Lead-free solder is junk.

Graham

Of course it is. OTOH its the stupid idea of some crackpot European
beuracrats that don't know a damn thing about metallurgy, yet are busy
screwing the entire world in their half assed attempt to keep any
foreign electronics from being imported.

Don't you also have some pretty draconian and nonsense lead regulations over
there too, Michael ? I seem to remember reading that there are regulations
regarding the disposal of CRTs now due to the lead in the glass faceplate.
The whole world is going mad ...

One of the talking heads on the TV news was yammering on about "Every
TV ever made has 27 pounds of lead in it" I have TV sets that only
weigh a few ounces. Where the @#$%^ is the rest of my lead? ;-)

it turns out that when the EPA calculated the amount of lead in the
glass of a CRT, they ground it to a fine powder before using acid to
separate it from the dust, then multiplied the amount by a huge number.
Its as phony as Global cooling/ warming/ climate change.

CRTs are supposed to be returned to the manufacurer, still under hard
vacuum. WTH are we supposed to do we do with broken ones, or gassy
tubes? I say we load all the crappy CRTS, and scrap electronics in
resurrected B52 bombers and drop it on the Chinese factories that keep
spewing out this crap.

If you're not under pressure to go lead-free on your solder already, trust
me, it's coming ! The whole of the far east's production for europe is now
done in lead-free, and I guess they just ship the same basic products to the
US also. I can't imagine them running parallel leaded and lead-free lines,
and component inventories. Is the stuff that you guys are repairing now
built in lead-free, and what are your experiences of it so far ? Have Sony
insisted that their gear is repaired with lead-free components and solder
there too ? I'm assuming that you don't have any actual legislation yet that
compels you repair in lead-free ?

No, but its getting a lot harder to find components that are tinned
with real solder. I have some nice tin/lead/silver solder for the fancy
work, and some older Ersin Multicore .031" 60/40 for regular work. With
my current health, it looks like a lifetime supply. The equipment I
worked on before becoming disabled was exempt, being that 95% of it went
to government agencies around the world. If they insisted on lead free,
we told them to get lost. its amazing how fast you get an exemption
when they NEED your custom built equipment.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida