Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison Robert Allison is offline

Default Neighbor impies he will disclose my old Septic Tank

wrote:
I agree with Robert. The most important thing to find out is what
the local requirements are. And I would do that discreetly. As
suggested, calling a company that deals with septic tanks is one
way. You could also call town hall and say you're looking at buying
a property that has an old septic tank, etc and ask what the deal is.

I have found that the septic companies KNOW what the
requirements are and are really good at letting you know what
your options are. After all, that is their business. They
have often helped me to do things much less expensively. The
authorities generally aren't much help in determining exactly
what CAN be done. They are good at inspecting and approving
work, but not in deciding what work to do.

I'd also get a copy of any state disclosure sheet that is used for
real estate sales and see what questions are on it.

And I agree with the OP, that if he filled it in with sound material,
I don't see it as a real issue of any kind. It wouldn't bother me as
a purchaser. However, what the local law says may be another matter.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.