Posted to alt.home.repair

Default disconnect box when adding subpanel

"tr" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am adding a 125 amp subpanel to the far side of my house. I need to
add a disconnect breaker near the new subpanel...but...I can not find
anything rated at 125 amps at either Home Deport or Lowes. The
largest they have for disconnect is 70 amps for a spa setup.?

Do I need to find a electrical supply house for this...or is there
something I am missing at Home Depot ?

Also...I am running a feeder line from the main panel to this
subpanel...the run is about 100 ft...can someone tell me what the code
is regarding the size of wire needed for this run. The retired
electrician at Home Depot says a 4awg three connector cable will be
fine...it is being run through 1" EMT across a flat roof with rain
tight compression connectors ?

Thanks, Tim

Something else to consider in addition to what others have said is the
temperature of the conduit and wire up on the roof. I think that it is
necessary to upgrade the wire size to compensate for the possible extreme
heat that the conductors may be subject to. Of course this depends on where
you are located. See if you can get wire with insulation rated for 105
degrees Celsius instead of 90 degrees. Regardless, number 4 is not rated for
125 amps.

Personally I am not a big fan of using EMT in wet conditions, although it is
permitted. After several years of long term exposure the conduit can get
rusty.