Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Geoman Geoman is offline

Default Why is it? (was R-22 vs. R410a (Puron))

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..
Gotta love it when the lowest bidder gets the job

So, by that, do you mean it _should_ be done, and just isn't to save
time/sweat?

yup... if the lineset is in the slab, a PVC chase is required.

I have seen a lot of water in the couple of grade-level or below-grade
sets I've pulled out of conduit, and suppose that might be one
objection to using it. (Ken _likes_ it that it's my hands and not his
in that stagnant goop...)

There is a reason that your supposed to seal both ends of the chase

The two I pulled _were_ "sealed" somewhat -- one only with foam
(spray-on) and one with foam and capped with mortar at the outside end;
and of course, the mortar was cracked. On both, the inside end was
sealed with foam. I presume the water was from condensation and not from
leakage. Seems like only a good hermetic seal would prevent the pipe from
breathing under temperature changes.

I use the expanding foam on both ends.... it seems to work well enough.
The only things I run through the lineset chase are the lineset and the
control wires. No I don't tie the lineset and wires together or tape
them.....I have had to replace too many wires that were taped or tied. I
don't staple them inside of the walls either.

What should be used? Is there a fitting designed to the purpose?

Just use the expanding foam.....its a good idea to make sure that the
inside of the chase is clean and dry before you run the copper.

Are there other reasons - besides the basic cost of materials and
labor - that make conduit/chase installation of linesets undesirable?

nope, and the only additional cost is $10 in 4 inch drain pipe

You may have answered that there aren't... but I didn't read that
clearly.

LLoyd

I was on a job once and saw perforated pipe used. The contractor told me
that there was a perimeter drain and the refrigerant lines were above the
tile, so instead of sealing off the ends with foam he stuffed them. His idea
is that any condensation leaks would be leached.
Interesting way he thinks