Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cutting a 32" door into a block home construction

On May 16, 12:59�pm, tr wrote:
I need to cut a new 32" exterior door in to my masonry block home.
the location of this will be right at the corner junction of two
exterior walls. *The type block in this area is the shorter 4"
height...not the typical 8 or 9 inch high hollow core block. *I have a
flat roof and this door way will be about 3.5 feet below the roof
line.

Can I cut flush with the perpendicular exterior block wall and mount
my double side framing flush with the perpendicular corner wall...or
should I cut so there is at least some of the return wall stub left in
the corner ?

Also...do I need to support *the opening during cutting will some type
of post....or will the block construction be strong enough to cut out
the 32" x 90" or so opening and install the reinforced sides and
header without a temporary support system ?

Thanks, Tim

cut a slot across the top with a masonary saw, then slide the lintel
in place. the lintel is a heavy steel plate thats wider than the door
opening and supports everything above.

once the lintel is in and secured you can cut and remove block, its a
very dusty job. then install door frame