Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default Tips on finishing sycamore and oak

I like laquer on sycamore and oil finish on oak - if you don't want a lot of
shine, you can steel wool laquer as needed. I always turn oak to final
thckness (about 1/8 to 3/16) in a single session to avoid self destruction
of the bowl/vessle, the sycamore I've turned was much more stable
"Olebiker" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have come into possesion of a couple of sycamore logs and have
started roughing out some bowls. I have never used sycamore before,
and it will be a while before the bowls are dry enough to turn to
final shape and finish, but I thought I would check to see what folks
have used successfully to finish sycamore.

I don't want a really glossy finish like lacquer. I have a Beall
buffing system. I used Deft on an oak bowl and then polished it, but
the end grain is much darker than the side grain. Should I have used
some sort of a sealer before applying the Deft?

Dick Durbin
Tallahassee