Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Conversion Oil fired boiler to Electric boiler

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 May 2007 07:23:11 -0700, wrote:

Living in Quebec which supposedly has the cheapest hydro rates in
North America I'm considering changing from an old oil fired boiler to
an electric boiler.
I have a relatively small house and the much smaller boiler unit, no
more oil tank, cleanliness and apparently faster heating time really
appeals me.
Anyone have thoughts on this?
Thanks in advance

Pretty much a no brainer isn't it?

Not from the numbers I've seen. At 2.40 a gallon for oil, electric has to
be 7.5¢ to break even. Removing and replacing the heating system and
electric service upgrade will cost $3000 to $5000? At 5¢ a kWh, the
payback will probably be 10 years. OK, I agree, it is a no brainer. Leave
it alone.

Another possibility is to add some electric baseboard heaters and leave the
oil system in place. If the difference between the fuels changes, so does
the use.