Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Jackson Ian Jackson is offline

Default More on lead-free junk solder

In message , Arfa Daily
writes

"Roy the Rebel" wrote in message
The pillocks that came up with this law obviously know nothing about
electronics. I call on all servicemen everywhere to defy this stupid
legislation as it is unworkable. Stock up with with as much leaded solder
as you can and USE it! Screw the rules, I say.

Bits snipped

Like it or not, I guess that we've got to just follow the rules,
until someone a lot more powerful than us, manages to prove that the whole
thing is a pile of gonads. Otherwise, one of us is going to finish up like
that poor greengrocer guy that stood up for his right to sell loose bananas
to little old ladies, in pounds and ounces, and finished up pursued,
villified, prosecuted and imprisoned, until the poor sod had a heart attack
and died. Just this week, his stand has proved that it can be worth it, as
the euro-crap which was going to force this ban on us totally from 2010, has
now been dropped. But I for one, don't want to test the dubious strength of
my heart, from the stress that would inevitably result from taking on these
people, do you ?

It appears that the reason for relenting was because they realised that
this could affect trade with the USA who, of course, still use the
imperial system (even if the do get some of the measurements wrong), and
wouldn't accept things labelled only in metric. It's a long time since
we had something to thank the Americans for.
Ian.