Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg Ralph E Lindberg is offline

Default Need advice on drying wood

In article ,
James Edward wrote:

Hi,
I am relatively new to turning and am trying to build up a stock of wood
for bowl turning. I need some advice on how to deal with green and
semi-dry wood. Specifically:
- For bowl blanks that I purchase, I usually cut out a round piece and
seal the edges. About how would it take to dry like this? If I rough out
the bowl, would it dry faster? And should I still seal the roughed-out
bowl to prevent cracking?
- For green wood cut from downed trees, can I store it in the "half-log"
shape? How should it be sealed and stored?
- What's an acceptable moisture content for final turning?
Thanks for your help!

In addition to Fred's fine advise, a wood dryer built out of a old steel
REFER (using a light bulb for a heat source) or a box built out of
insulating foam (again using a light blub). Me, if I need to hurry the
work, I use a microwave.

Just had a thought... what are the light-blub dryings going to do when
they "ban" the old style light blub?

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv