Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Olebiker Olebiker is offline

Default Tips on finishing sycamore and oak

On May 16, 8:00 am, "George" wrote:
Just remembered something from long back that you might already have
discovered. The ray figure that makes sycamore visually interesting can be a
problem in turning. The rays aren't as well-attached as the rest of the
wood, and when turning along the grain, they will have a tendency to pop
loose, leaving little pits if you are taking aggressive cuts. Even beech
can do this if you're not careful, and it's a denser wood. Remember, the
rays are at right angles to the direction of the grain, so peel slowly.

This is what makes the Internet so valuable. I might never have
learned that from reading books and the few people I know who turn.