Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Tips on finishing sycamore and oak

"Olebiker" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have come into possesion of a couple of sycamore logs and have
started roughing out some bowls. I have never used sycamore before,
and it will be a while before the bowls are dry enough to turn to
final shape and finish, but I thought I would check to see what folks
have used successfully to finish sycamore.

Just remembered something from long back that you might already have
discovered. The ray figure that makes sycamore visually interesting can be a
problem in turning. The rays aren't as well-attached as the rest of the
wood, and when turning along the grain, they will have a tendency to pop
loose, leaving little pits if you are taking aggressive cuts. Even beech
can do this if you're not careful, and it's a denser wood. Remember, the
rays are at right angles to the direction of the grain, so peel slowly.