Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Electical question

In article , Roy Smith wrote:
In article ,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

The lack of a cover plate is a code violation, yes, but that's the least of
your worries. The National Electrical Code requires all splices and junctions

to be accessible, and specifically defines "accessible" thus:

"Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure
or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the
building."

A junction box that has a built-in bookcase over it does not qualify as
accessible.

But, a built-in bookcase with a built-in hinged door in the back to access
the box probably would. If you do it right, it could be quite unobtrusive,
and completely invisible when the shelf is filled with books. I suspect
that would satisfy both the letter and the spirit of the code.

I imagine so, too, but I think I'd want to run that past a local electrical
inspector just to be sure -- withOUT giving my name or address!

--
Regards,