Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Electical question

In article . com, rolsonDesign wrote:
I recently constructed a built-in desk and bookshelf in my upstairs
loft.

There was an outlet on the wall that happened to be right where two
bookshelves joined together. I had to remove the cover plate and
outlet in order for the bookshelves to be flush against the wall. I
removed the socket and rejoined the wires together using wire nuts. I
then pushed the wires back into the box and put my shelves in front of
it...without using a cover plate. Its this last part that I'm kinda
regretting now that the built-in is complete.

Should I have put a cover plate over that or will the wire nuts be
sufficient? None of the wires were anywhere near crossing each other
but I still have a little anxiety about it. I'm pretty sure I know
what the pro's would do...

Opinions? I'm probably breaking major building codes doing that too.

The lack of a cover plate is a code violation, yes, but that's the least of
your worries. The National Electrical Code requires all splices and junctions
to be accessible, and specifically defines "accessible" thus:

"Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure
or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the
building."

A junction box that has a built-in bookcase over it does not qualify as
accessible.

The best solution to this problem is to locate the other end of each of the
two cables that enter this box, and disconnect them. Then run a new cable via
a different route, bypassing the segment you just disconnected.

--
Regards,